If you are planning on being a pediatric nurse practitioner, you need to be prepared to work with children with special needs. This includes children with autism. You can learn more about autism with help from different online resources. These 50 blogs about autism can provide helpful insight into the condition, and how to interact these special children: Read More..
Busy parents have a real advantage these days over parents from years past. It’s much easier to keep ourselves organized in those hectic days of new parenting with great web apps at our fingertips. Here are 20 of our favorites for new parents.
For Your iPhone
- Baby Tracker: Diapers: They didn’t have this app just a few years ago when my kids were little, and I can’t say I would have used it anyway. But, if you are into keeping track of baby’s diaper habits, this is a great app for you! Record your changes with W for wet, and BM for bowel movement. You’ll soon be able to see patterns that will help you predict how many diapers to keep on hand, and you’ll know if you’ve got a problem in the pee or poop arena.
- Total Baby: This tracker does everything Baby Tracker: Diapers does and more. Keep track of the diaper habits, immunization records, most recent doctor visits, prescriptions, etc. It can keep track of multiple children, too.
- Baby Connect: Track all the info you need about baby, like last feeding, diaper changes, etc. Multiple users can access info for the same baby, so Mom and Dad and Grandma can all make changes and log info.
- White Noise Lite: Help get baby to sleep with several choices in white noise. Choose ocean waves, rain or crickets. This is a great app for you, too, especially if you travel.
- Baby Monitor: I love this app! Put your iphone near sleeping baby and it will call the number you designate when baby wakes up. You never have to take a baby monitor with you when you travel again!
- Baby Tracker: Nursing: Keeping track of the details of nursing can be difficult. This app keeps track of things like when you last nursed, for how long and from which side, so you don’t have to try and remember it all.
- BabySitter: This is another favorite app of mine because you can use it for as long as your kids need babysitters. You tell the app when you leave and stop the clock when you get home, and voila! it tells you how much you owe the baby sitter.
- Baby Sitter Connect: This app allows the babysitter to connect with you via simple interface while you’re out. So, rather than a phone call that interrupts your dinner, you’ll get a simple update when junior goes to sleep. And, if there’s a problem, the sitter can get to you quickly. If she doesn’t have an iPhone, too, she can send the notifications from the computer.
- Food Additives: This app is perfect for parents whose children have food allergies. Find out the effects of the additives in food before you let your kids eat it.
- Our Kids: This is a great family journal right on your phone. Take pictures and add text to help you remember the moment. You can also take short videos and record audio clips.
- Baby Brain: Track feedings, diapers and naps so that you can spot the patterns. It will soon be easy to tell what the perfect naptime is and when you shouldn’t head out the door without diapers.
For Your Android
- Baby Scheduler: Similar to Total Baby for iphone, Baby Scheduler lets you keep track of naps, feedings etc.
- Safe Neighborhood: This app gives you a visual of the locations of registered sex offenders in your area. It’s a must for all parents.
- My Trip Recorder: Similar to Our Kids app for iPhone, Trip Recorder lets you take pictures and enter text about your travels. It’s a great way to keep track of special moments with your little one and share them with Grandma.
- Ambiance: This is Android’s answer to White Noise; only better. You can download white noises or even playlists to help baby get to sleep.
For Your Home Computer
- Babycenter: This website is one you’ll use from the time you find out you’re pregnant until your children are in school. You can find out everything from how to avoid morning sickness to which immunizations your child needs.
- The New Parent’s Guide: Find answers to your questions here, and you’ll also find the best online shopping resources. Websites that get the New Parent’s Guide Seal of Approval are ones that can be trusted.
- Parenthood: This is a great site for getting your questions answered. I love their “is this normal” section that helps you look up symptoms or behaviors to see if they’re normal or if you should be concerned.
- The Cradle: I love this site for pregnant women and new parents because it’s focused on the questions you have during these phases. It’s easy to find the answers you’re looking for.
- Families.com: This site is another that you’ll use from the time you get pregnant onward. Whether you’re expecting, a new parent or a seasoned one, you’ll find lots of great advice on all the stages children go through and you’ll even get some good advice about keeping a happy marriage.
Being a good parent and entire steps of parenting includes a better issues related to child growth other than issues related to health and hygiene. To become a good parent it is very necessary for a person to look at overall aspects of growth and below are briefed some of the popular websites related to parenting.
- More4Kids: It is a specialized website for personalized gifts for children and parenting information. Its range of products includes personalized baby bibs and blankets, personalized books, music and software. It is working so hard to bring in an online community for parents, families, and teachers together in order to share ideas and information.
- Dr Toy: Dr. Toy provides children, parents, teachers, grandparents and other adults with important year-round information about the Dr. Toy award winning products. These include toys, dolls, games, puzzles, books, software, CD-ROMs, audio and video discs and tapes, creative materials, construction toys, and much more.
- Family Education: Family Education Network is the best site with over content, resources, and shopping for parents, teachers, and kids. It was started back in September, 2000, as to provide best information online for parents, teachers and students of their age to take make learning easy and quite happening. It is constructed over on the strong foundation of International media strong foundation of assets from the international media company, Pearson plc (NYSE:PSO).
- Parenthood: This website for about 10 years has established itself as a leading online space for mother and families. The site is filled with award winning editorial content covering a wide range of pregnancy and parenting related topics even including many helpful tools and features. Parenthood.com is a division of Dominion Enterprises and has developed into a supportive forum for mothers as to share their own ideas on parenting.
- The National Parenting Center: The National Parenting Center was founded in July of 1989 with desire to provide the most elaborated and responsible parenting suggestion and ideas to parents. Here advice is given by some of the most authoritarian professional in the field of child growth and rearing. More The National Parenting Center creates and maintains interactive systems letting parents to access the expert panel. More parents get advice from expert by the mediums like written transcripts, letters, brochures, newsletters, the Internet, etc.
- Zero to Three.org: It is a national NPO which informs trains and support professionals, policymakers and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infant and toddlers. As it is told by scientist that the earliest days of life are unparallel to growth where trillions of brain cell connections are either made or fulfilled. So initial years of kid’s growth are unparallel by any means and Zero to three is a smaller effort reaching towards that goal.
- Parents.com: This is a complete parenting guide for kids as well as parents with all prenatal as well as post natal care for mothers. It provides useful information and caring tips for parents. It has provided necessary information in different categories as expressed by professionals in pediatrics and parental care. Some most common categories on the site are Pregnancy and Birth, Baby Names, Toddlers & Preschools, Babies, Big Kids, Parenting, Family Fun and Community.
Pediatrics is known to be the branch of medicine that take cares of branch of medicine which deals with the medical care and concerned of infants, children, and adolescents. The upper age limit of such patients counted around and about 12 to 21. A professional in Pediatrics is being known as pediatrician. Below are discussed some noted and famous pediatrician through out the times.
- Benjamin McLane Spock: He was an American pediatrician whose book Baby and Child Care, published in 1946 sell out in the market as one of the biggest best sellers of the time. He was the pioneer pediatrician who learnt psychoanalysis as to understand and learnt about children needs and family dynamics. His thoughts about child care made an impressive observation on generations of parents to become flexible and affectionate with their children and to treat them as an individual person.
- Dr. William Sears: William Sears is an American pediatrician and the author or co-author of more than 30 parenting books, most famous one is the “Sears Parenting Library.” He regularly arrives at various television talk shows where he is being learnt and referred by the name of Dr. Bill. His wife Martha Sears, R.N is among the leading proponents of the attachment parenting philosophy. More his extracurricular activities though related to career are BabyTalk and Parenting magazines and the pediatrician on the website Parenting.com. He was been guest to nearly more than 100 television shows including: 20/20, Donahue, Good Morning America, Oprah Winfrey, CBS This Morning, CNN, Today Show and Dateline. According to latest information about him, Sears lives with his family in San Clemente, California and operates a private medical practice in Capistrano Beach, California with his sons.
- Robert Mendelsohn, MD: He was famous American pediatrician who is known for criticizing his own profession. He also protested against fluoridation, coronary bypass surgery, licensing of nutritionists, and the routine use of X-rays. For 12 years, Mendelsohn was an instructor at Northwestern University Medical College, and was associate professor of pediatrics and community health and preventive medicine at the University Of Illinois College Of Medicine for another 12 years.
- V.N. Korovin: He was the Famous Russian pediatrician who along K.A Rauchfuss and V.N Raitz planned in the planning and organization of St. Petersburg State Pediatric Medical Academy better known as the Leningrad Pediatric Medical Institute (LPMI) and is a leading school of higher medical education of Russia and is the oldest independent pediatric university in the world.
- Florence Guinness Blake: She has reputation for contributing to the cause of nursing, especially, in the area of pediatric nursing and helped to the cause of graduate level nursing education especially for those who willed to work with children. She since from her childhood was inclined toward nursing and did Master of Science degree and became a nursing teacher.
A pediatric nurse practitioner is a registered nurse who has completed nursing education as well as in the general training of the diagnosis and management of various medical conditions that are associated with infants, children and adolescents. They can act as caregivers or diagnose and treat chronic conditions, injuries and infections as well as perform physical examination and rehabilitation of kids whose abilities have been lost. They also provide education support and health care counseling to the families of their patients and answer any questions or concern about the child. There are different programs for those who wish to be pediatric nurses.
Diploma Degrees takes about three years and is usually conducted within hospitals. The student is awarded a diploma in Nursing and after completion can apply for licensure as a registered Nurse. Associate Of Science in Nursing is usually awarded in community colleges or nursing schools. Students taking this course can earn a bachelors degree in about two years a practice called bridging.
Bachelor of Science In Nursing
It is a program that can be competed in four years of full time study. It encompasses both general education courses and classes in nursing. Some clinical experiences is a must and is usually carried out in the last two years of the program. Most of the courses here are focused on the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills. Core courses include community nursing, health assessment, nursing ethics and research. Students who are in the clinical experience component gain experience in different areas such as adult health, mental health nursing and childbearing families. It is important as they are required to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in a set patient situation.
Masters Of Science In Nursing
This program is usually completed in 2 years if undertaken full time. Students have to complete the core courses before they enroll in Masters of Science In Nursing. It focuses in research methods in nursing and advance practice in nursing. Students are also provided with instruction on the completion of their Master degree thesis. Core courses in Masters of science in Nursing with focus on Pediatric care emphasizes on diagnostic reasoning, clinical pharmacology, prevention of diseases, maintenance of health and critical thinking. Thesis completion and a series of clinical experiences are carried out during the final year of enrollment. Some programs require both the clinical experience and completion of research project. The student must have a bachelors degree in Nursing from any accredited institutions and must hold a registered nurse (RN) license in the state where the practicum will be completed.
Though Masters of Science Degree in Nursing is the prerequisite for certification as a Pediatric Nurse practitioner, other colleges and universities offer post master options.